7.22.2012

lovable & sweet




about a week ago I was involved in the 48 Hour Film Project. it's an international festival where film-making groups get together and write, shoot, and produce a short film in under 48 hours. you are assigned a genre, and all groups have to work the same character, line, and prop into their films. our character was Adam Nicholson, door-to-door salesman, our  prop was a flashlight, and our line was "Why am I always first?".
a friend asked me to join her group as the artistic director. I did the hair, makeup, and costume design for the film, as well as some of the cinematography! it was actually more fun than I had expected.
we were given the silent film genre, and naturally I was very excited. I got to transform our lead, a fantastic actress named Helena, into a flapper, all set to the music of one of my favorite singers, 1920s darling Annette Hanshaw. I went all out, giving her the full twenties makeover, complete with faux finger waves.
the films all screened this weekend at the Byrd, a favorite Richmond hangout. the Byrd is this giant antique theater from 1928, and is almost unchanged in appearance. it's really beautiful inside, chandeliers and red-velvet curtains and all. it was an honor enough to have our little homemade film be shown there.
this short was in no way a real serious competitor for the $5000 prize and film deal, but we had a lot of fun and I loved getting to show what I think I do best. and for that, here's our little film! I hope you all like it. if anything, I think it's really cute. enjoy!

--

2 comments:

  1. oh my sweet jesus. I had no idea you had this blog. can I be you yet?

    also, Helena looks simply marvelous. gorgeous work! (and Hector is adorbs, haha.) love how you styled all the hair and makeup here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments.